Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tuesday Surprise

Hello out there!
Today's a surprise for me. Tuesdays we go to my parents house to clean, organize, tackle projects. They are such wonderful people, and at 84 they need a little extra help with chores, repairs, and projects like a spring garden. Today was going to include a lot of the latter, but dad called saying mom wasn't feeling well today and could we make it another day. So.....what to do with a day that wasn't planned when the rest of the week is? How about straighten the garage a little.........look for that shower part so we have two working showers again......find a few other necessities buried in the abyss! Found the shower part. Yay! One step closer to having my shower back after 3 months of sharing his, which is fine, it's actually brighter in there, but all my stuff is in mine. You know what I mean.
Anyway........I have to make this fast today because now that I've made it clear I want these things done, I have to participate. (cussing a little) ;P But, I was reading my favorite blog, Attic 24, by my favorite blog artists, Lucy, when I told her the things I've crocheted this week while she was on vacation and promised to have pics available and some instructions. So.....here we go!
I have a friend who is about to lose her hair, so I thought I would crochet a cute cotton curly brimmed hat with some little flowers for her. I chose some pinks for the flowers because that's her favorite color. The pattern for the hat can be found on http://www.lionbrand.com/ and the little flowers are my own pattern. At least I think it's my own because I've never seen this pattern anywhere. I have two versions, 5 petal and 6 petal. I'll try to make the instructions as clear as possible.
Suzi's Little Flowers
100% cotton yarn
Size D (US) Crochet Hook
  • Pattern is for 5 petal flower. For 6 petal, use (11) sc and make 6th petal.
  • Ch 4, slip st to make a circle
  • Ch 2, (is 1st sc) and 9 (11) more sc inside circle, sl in top of ch 2 st
  • Change color of yarn if you like at this point
  • *Ch 3, 2 dc in next st, ch 3, sl st in next st.* (one petal made)
  • Repeat * - * 4 more times (5 for 6 petal flower). Sl st and fasten off.
I hope that was clear enough for you. Not as clear as dear Lucy's instructions for sure, but the best I can do today. Here's a pic of the finished hat and some cute detail I added.
See this little back area......... The hat was a little loose, so I wove some green yarn in and out about 6 times and cinched it to make a little bow. Now, she can let it out easily should it shrink when she washes it. Just a simple little solution :D Don't you love the viney part?????
So......... Enjoy and I welcome comments. Have to run as "Sweetheart" is now turning into a whiny bear!
xoxox
Suzi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you and will try my best to respond. Thanks so much for visiting!